Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Hairy Situation

Hair as well as other external features tend to define how a girl reflects on herself each day. I can relate to those same hair-crazed teenagers on more levels than one. When I was in 6th grade I was put in the fortunate enough situation to go to the "promised land of the Jewish people." My mom saw it fit that I cleaned up my appearance before I took this journey half-way across the world: therefore I took a pre-adventure to the hair salon. The 6th grader within me, prompted my brain to express the fact that I wanted a shoulder length, layered, side bange cut. So what did the hair dresser do? She gave me exactly that, and boy did I think I was hot stuff! While in 7th grade, at a brand new, fashion forward school in a community with all new kids, I came to the realization that my juvenile haircut was no longer wanted. It was from that point on that I decided to boycott getting a cut! It has been since that march of my sixth grade year (currently in the 8th grade) and I have failed to loosen my views, and I have since gotten a hair cut. My hair, almost reaching my tush at this point, is one that I am not only proud of but take pride in! However, after rethinking my outlook on beauty, I have decided and wish to share with all of you, that it is not about having the most pin straight, longest hair on the block. Its about finding a style in which you can say "I am proud that I choose to rock this." Emma Watson, and Michelle Williams, two of the most empowering and gorgeous women in Hollywood both coincidently happen to sport the "guy" cut, and constantly look amazing doing it. Never do anything, simply because you see photographs and magazine portraits of those celebrities in your society doing it. Do it to be proud of yourself, and proud of the entire girl you see reflecting back in your mirror, internally and externally. Never feel like you need to hesitate before you share the feeling of the true amazement you feel regarding the woman you have become. It is OK to go against the grill sometimes, and do the opposite of what is expected of you by the society surrounding us teenagers each day. Never let one feature define your external view on yourself. Be humble yet gratified at what you have the guts to strut, love yourself while doing it, and respect yourself enough to never do anything your heart is not in 100%.. I love you all SO much, continue to be the amazing girls and boys you are constantly proving yourselves to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment